Director of Music Ministry – Oak Bay United Church in Victoria, BC (part-time, 15 hours/week)
OBUC is a historic, vibrant, and progressive congregation. Our online and in-person worship thrived during the pandemic due to the work of our previous music team. We are now in search of a part-time Director of Music Ministry to revitalize the choir and re-engage the congregation in music and singing with energy and passion.
Under the supervision of the Lead Minister and working in collaboration with other church personnel, the Director of Music Ministry will provide vital leadership in Music Ministry that supports the life and mission of the Church.
Qualifications and Skills
- Diploma in music from a recognized organization (ARCT, LRCM, or equivalent)
- Skilled pianist and vocalist (OBUC has a Heintzman piano)
- Experienced and skilled with leading vocal choirs and soloists
- Knowledgeable about modern music resources (including copyright laws)
- Broad familiarity with the church music (in the western tradition)
- Embraces diversity of music style
- Dynamic, creative, organized, flexible, collaborative
- Works well with children and adults
- Facilitates the best in others
- Ability to grow and deepen the leadership of others
- Ability to use technology to support the choir (ie, recording harmony parts and sharing)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to effectively manage church resources
- Familiarity with technical equipment (speakers, microphones, etc.) for live and online worship services and performances
The Director of Music Ministry leads a thriving Music Ministry that supports and enhances the life, mission and vision of the Church. The position is responsible for planning, implementing, and coordinating a variety of music ministry programs and activities for all ages of people within the OBUC congregation and within the community.
The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for sharing information with the Office Administrator regarding activities and other personnel to include appropriate notices in the bulletin, online calendar, website, and social media platforms.
Responsibilities include (but may not be limited to) the following:
- Plan and prepare appropriate music for worship services including hymns and new styles of music by collaborating with the Lead Minister.
- Lead the congregation and worship choir in music and song during worship services.
- Facilitate networks with the local music community.
- Notify the Lead Minister of pastoral care needs within the choir.
- Attend regular meetings for coordination of the above activities.
- Work collaboratively with the Technical Director to ensure effective sound.
- Effectively manage the music budget and other church resources as used/needed for the programs/activities, including the spaces in the buildings.
- Effectively coordinate church volunteers.
Salary in accordance with RCCO guidelines. To apply, please email email@example.com with your expression of interest and resumé, by July 21st. Thank you!